Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thinkspace and the NAP

This past friday, I attended the awards ceremony
for an art show I was in at the Los Angeles Superior Courthouse.
I didn't win anything :( but I did get this nifty certificate!


These were the only two paintings I actually liked.



Afterwards, I headed over to Thinkspace to meet with LC.
He is always so honest and extremely helpful.
I showed him the landscape he had me paint
and some other paintings I'd completed since the last time 
I saw him. We talked for a while and he told me the next thing 
I had to work on was expanding the environment my characters
reside in. He showed me some examples online 
and told me to walk a few doors down to LeBasse Projects
where the work of  Andrew Hem was on display.
He said my paintings were here


When they needed to be here. In terms of space.


Looking at Andrew Hem's work, I could feel what LC was saying.
My paintings feel constricted. With more space for my characters 
to play around in, my paintings will feel refreshing, 
like you want to jump into them. Imagine the man from Reading Rainbow.
Anyway, I have a lot of work ahead of me. 
I'm so glad I went to Thinkspace before I started my next painting.
I'm going to document my journey on this one. 
You'll be able to see where my head was at before I was 
advised by LC, and after. plus my step by step process.

No comments:

Post a Comment