Sunday, July 17, 2011

July {paint layer one}

I'm always a bit embarrassed to show images of incomplete work, 
personally, I like to see other artists post progress shots of their artwork.
It makes them seem human. vulnerable. It's also interesting to see their process.
I'm halfway finished with my monthly series!!! 
I'm already becoming a much faster painter, better at skin tones,
and inventing environments. Ideally, if I had an unlimited amount of time,
I would do three layers of paint on each piece.
Throughout this process (thus far), I've discovered that I can get away
with painting only two layers. The first layer is solely used for blocking
in the color and the second layer is for painting in the detail.
I've also discovered that after I've done the initial sketch
I can knock out a 5x7 painting in three days.
day one: prep illustration board and transfer sketch
day two: layer one
day three: layer two.
I think I'll show you my process in pictures sometime soon.




1 comment:

  1. i love reading about your process, don't be embarrassed. you are truly a talented artist and a lovely music maker. hope you're all well!

    ReplyDelete