Sunday, August 14, 2011

The dead layer

I've only taken one oil painting class in my life.
I know some of the basics, like materials you need,
how to prep a board for painting, etc.
For the past two years (since I started painting with oil)
I've had to just learn by experience. I took what I knew about 
other paints (watercolor and acrylic) and applied it to oil.
For the first time ever, I'm experimenting with a technique used by
the old masters. I'm not sticking true to the complete process just yet,
But so far I really like the idea of blocking in all of the shadows 
and highlights first with burnt umber and then adding color on top 
of the underpainting. Technically, this layer is not called the "dead layer"
but I like the way it sounds, so I'm calling it the dead layer.
Whateva, whateva, I'll do what I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment